2000 individual by Eminem
“ The Real Slim Shady “ is a song by american knocker Eminem from his third base album The Marshall Mathers LP ( 2000 ). It was released as the moderate unmarried a month before the album ‘s handout. “ The Real Slim Shady ” was Eminem ‘s first song to reach count one in the United Kingdom and it besides peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100, giving him his biggest hit up to that point. [ 1 ] The sung was the fourteenth best sell of 2000 in the United Kingdom. It won multiple awards, including MTV Video Music Awards for Best Video and Best Male Video, adenine well as a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance. In October 2011, NME placed it at phone number 80 on its tilt “ 150 Best Tracks of the Past 15 Years ”. [ 2 ] It was listed at number 396 on NME ‘s 500 greatest songs of all time.
Reading: The Real Slim Shady – Wikipedia
premise [edit ]
“ The Real Slim Shady ” was not primitively intended to be share of The Marshall Mathers LP. Interscope Records ‘s Jimmy Iovine wanted Eminem to have a sung to introduce the album, similar to the way “ My diagnose Is “ was the first gear individual on The Slim Shady LP. Eminem, Dr. Dre, Tommy Coster and Mike Elizondo wrote “ The Real Slim Shady ” equitable hours before the final replicate of the album was due. The first individual was intended to be “ Who Knew. ” [ 3 ] The birdcall is a review of manufactured pop songs that were popular at the clock time. It was a shoot unmarried, becoming Eminem ‘s first chart topper in some countries, and garnering much care for insulting respective celebrities, including :
The chorus is about the sudden fashion changes caused by Eminem ‘s success : “ I ‘m slender Shady, yes I ‘m the real Shady/All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating/So wo n’t The real Slim Shady please stand up, please stand up, please stand up ? ” The refrain imitates the catchphrase of the quiz testify To Tell the Truth: “ Will the real number ______ please stand up ? ” In an interview [ 8 ] while promoting his greatest hits album, Curtain Call, Eminem remarked that the good of the chorus was intended to recreate that of a chain saw going off. The sudden rise and increase in tempo vitamin a well as pitch recreates the centrifugal of a chain saw coming to life .
critical reception [edit ]
PopMatters described this song :
“ In a count of songs on the newly album, including the current unmarried, ‘The Real Slim Shady, ‘ Eminem slams his ‘enemies ‘ with comedian book volume. In the video recording, he wears a superhero costume and an insane mental hospital straitjacket while rapping, ‘I ‘m sick of you small female child and boy groups, all you do is annoy me / So I have been sent here to destroy you / And there ‘s a million of us barely like me / Who cuss like me ; who equitable do n’t give a sleep together like me / Who dress like me ; walk, talk and act like me / And just might be the adjacent best thing, but not quite me ! ‘ Of course, the irony is built into the birdcall : Eminem ‘s signature style the bleached blond hair, pale skin, humungous T-shirt has spawned droves of lookalikes and wannabes. Voila, he ‘s a adolescent idol. Poor Em, ca n’t win for losing. ” [ 9 ]
Allmusic highlighted the unmarried. [ 10 ] Will Hermes was positivist :
“ In the aftermath of Slim Shady, he married the girlfriend he imagined killing, while his beget, immortalized in his shoot single ‘My name Is ‘ ( I just found out my Mom does more dope than I do ), sued him for $ 10 million for defamation of character. ” [ 11 ]
The aspersion shell was settled in 2001 for $ 25,000 as Debbie Mathers ‘ former lawyer was awarded $ 23,354—netting Ms. Mathers precisely over $ 1600 for her efforts. [ 12 ] [ 13 ] LA Times wrote :
“ ‘The Real Slim Shady, ‘ the first gear single from the album, is a modest footstep to the mainstream—a fresh and amusing, about PG-rated swipe at everything from the Grammy Awards to shallow adolescent toss off. ” [ 14 ]
IGN cited :
“ The album ‘s obligatory ‘pop ‘ number is exposed on ‘The Real Slim Shady, ‘ which chugs and lurches along to a boinging electro flinch exhaust. It would be a total pop music crush if it were n’t for the lyrics, though. Leave it to Em to juice it up with ear candy sparkling, but keep the words in the insurgent. As with the other Dre crafted tunes on the album, there ‘s enough of cool particular effects bustling about—fart noises, heavy breathe, all of it coalescing with Em ‘s cartoon character on crystal methamphetamine delivery. certain it ‘s pop, but of the most brainsick nature. ” [ 15 ]
Rolling Stone praised the sound of the single as “ slick, bright, melodic flinch that ‘s indeed R & B-ish, you can dance to it ”. [ 16 ] The sung has been in many films, notably 21 Jump Street ( 2012 ). It has been one of his best-known songs. [ citation needed ]
music video [edit ]
The music video features Eminem performing the song in a psychiatric ward, a local anesthetic Detroit vicinity nearside a park, a fast-food joint, the Grammy Awards, and even in a factory where multiple clones of the rapper are produced. The video recording besides features cameo appearances by Dr. Dre, D12, Fred Durst, Kathy Griffin ; lookalikes of Kid Rock, Carson Daly, Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee ; and even a thrust Bill the Cat dame can besides be seen being held in possession by one of the mental patients in the hospital scenes. Actress and comedian Kathy Griffin, who is besides known for insulting celebrities in her work, [ 17 ] appears in the television as an attending nurse in a psychiatric cellblock. Griffin said during a July 21, 2005, consultation on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno that Eminem selected her for the television because mate knocker Snoop Dogg told him she was “ in truth amusing. ” [ 18 ] The video recording besides features Eminem dressed in the same superhero costume used by Tom Green in the “ lonely swedish “ video chasing *NSYNC lookalikes, taking Justin Timberlake down to the footing and putting ‘his bum on the man ‘s lips. ‘ [ 19 ] The costume can be seen late in the “ Without Me “ music video following the unblock of The Eminem Show. The video features scenes corresponding to particular lyrics :
- Two young boys watching the Discovery Channel on television with two rhinoceroses mating, then looking at each other in awe, referring to the 1999 song “The Bad Touch”, by Bloodhound Gang. (Of course, they’re gonna know what intercourse is by the time they hit fourth grade/They got the Discovery Channel, don’t they?/”We ain’t nothing but mammals..” Well, some of us cannibals)
- Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee chasing each other around a couch and Anderson screaming in front of the camera. (Like Pam, like Tommy just burst in the door, and started whooping her ass worse than before, they first were divorced, throwing her over furniture.)
- An obese man in underwear being enslaved by a dominatrix with a paddle. (Yeah, I probably got a couple of screws up in my head loose, but no worse than what’s going on in your parents’ bedrooms.)
- A gay marriage ceremony is shown and Eminem breaks up the two men about to kiss each other and showing disgust. (But if we can hump dead animals and antelopes/then there’s no reason that a man and another man can’t elope)
- Eminem performing in a private room with all his clones produced from the factory with their heads bobbing to the music. (the chorus: ‘Cause I’m Slim Shady, yes, I’m the real Shady/all you other Slim Shadys are just imitating/So won’t The Real Slim Shady please stand up?/Please stand up?/Please stand up?)
- Eminem at the Grammy Awards dressed as Britney Spears, along with Fred Durst and Carson Daly pulling a blow-up doll of Christina Aguilera between their seats towards each other angrily until it flies out of the chair. (Christina Aguilera better switch me chairs so I can sit next to Carson Daly and Fred Durst, and hear ’em argue over who she gave head to first.)
- A clip from a cartoon of a frog tap-dancing on a turtle (from the Flip the Frog film Fiddlesticks) can be seen on a TV in the hospital and the viewer laughs at it.
- Eminem working in a fictional fast-food restaurant with an ‘Ask Me’ patch giving a woman her order and rejecting it because of the onion rings being forgotten, however he gets the onion rings and he spits in them as a form of revenge for her rude treatment of him, and gives the onion rings to the woman to complete her order, which she begins eating as she walks away. The same scene also shows Eminem driving recklessly around in circles in a parking lot in a blue AMC Pacer. (He could be working at Burger King, spitting on your onion rings/or in the parking lot, circling, screaming: “I don’t give a fuck!”/With his windows down and his system up)
In the uncensored interpretation of the music video recording, the fat homo in underwear wears a ball gag ; in the censor version, he does not. The edit interpretation besides does not show Eminem raising his middle fingers ; rather, he points at the television camera .
Credits [edit ]
data from the interior booklet of The Marshall Mathers LP
Awards [edit ]
“ The Real Slim Shady ” was very successful at the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, winning awards for Video of the class and Best Male Video, adenine well as being a campaigner for Best Rap Video, Best Direction, Best Editing and Viewer ‘s Choice. The song was besides performed by Eminem at the show with look-a-likes of himself, as in the television .
track number [edit ]
- UK CD single
- UK Cassette
- German CD single
- German Maxi CD single
Charts [edit ]
Certifications [edit ]
See besides [edit ]
References [edit ]
Read more: The 100 Greatest Songs of All Time