Five years belated, after repeated requests from collector colleagues for his personal record-keeping, Joel typed out the research that he had painstakingly written on 3 ” x 5 ” index cards. He arranged it into an artist-by-artist list in a slender, gold paperback book, plainly titled Record Research .
That book spawned a business of the same name and provided the first look at music history through the lens of chart performance. Joel invented the concepts of “ debut dates ” and “ peak positions ” and so much more that is now all-important in music dictionary .
nowadays in its 15th edition, Top Pop Singles 1955-2015 is the best one so far !
– UK #1 Hits – Each US chart hit that hit # 1 on the United Kingdom ( British ) charts is now indicated with an easy-to-find symbol, besides showing sum weeks at # 1. This is the first Record Research publication to show this non-US chart information .
– CB/MV/RW #1 Hits – For every # 1 shoot from the early major music trade magazines ( Cash Box, Music Vendor & Record World ) that DID NOT hit # 1 in Billboard, we ’ ve added an easy-to-find symbol, with the sum weeks at # 1 shown. At a glance, see newly-researched # 1 hits for such artists as The Beatles ( 4 extra # 1s ), Creedence Clearwater Revival ( 3 # 1s ), The Everly Brothers ( “ Bye Bye Love ” ), The Kingsmen ( “ Louie, Louie ” ), Elvis ( “ Return To Sender ” ), The Ronettes ( “ Be My Baby ” ), and many, many more .
– Expanded HRH Listings – Our singular Honor Roll Of Hits list has now been expanded from 200 to 300 titles. These are the songs that are the most-honored hits by critics and music diligence professionals such as the Grammy Hall of Fame, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and other meaning rankings. This is the only position you ’ ll find such a definitive list of the true classics that have stood the test of prison term, trends and changing melodious tastes .
– Updated Bios – Every raw artist has critical information listed in our popular thumbnail bios. Group members, birthdates/places, rapper ’ s very names, and more are now available at a glance. Updated bios for older artists include death dates for the many who have recently died .
– list of approx. 200 ultra-rare EP’s – never charted, early rock ‘n ‘ roll – among them The Harp Tones, The Mello-Kings, Eddie Cochran, LaVern Baker, Chuck Berry, The Crests, Danny & The Juniors, and more !
– Updated Fonts – make our invaluable inquiry tied easier-to-read, with symbols like “ UK ” and “ HRH ” that pop right off the page .
– Nearly 30 artists with at least 10 new entries since previous version ! Check out Drake, Taylor Swift, 5 Seconds of Summer and more !
ALL SONGS that appeared on these Billboard charts :
– Hot 100
– Bubbling Under the Hot 100
– Hot 100 Airplay
– top 100
– Best Sellers
– Disc Jockey
– Juke Box
– territorial Hits
– break Hits
– Pop EP ’ s
For each of the 40,000+ songs :
– debut DATE
– PEAK POSITION
– # of WEEKS charted
– songwriter ( s )
– LABEL & NUMBER
If applicable :
– full WEEKS AT PEAK for all # 1s, # 2s & # 3s
– RIAA authentication of Gold or Platinum for record sales
– RIAA certification of Gold or Platinum for digital sales
– shape if other than vinyl
– PICTURE SLEEVE symbol
– sport ARTISTS
– forte read :
C – Comedy
F – Foreign terminology
I – instrumental
L – Live
N – Novelty
R – Re-entry
S – Spoken
X – Christmas
– triviality NOTES
– luminary AWARDS ( Billboard, Grammy, Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, Rolling Stone )
– FIND-IT-FAST features for all # 1s, biggest hits, Top 10s, etc.
– ALL # 1s from main writing style charts with sum weeks at clear :
– C & W
– R & B
For each of the 9,000+ ARTISTS
One line or more descriptive BIOGRAPHY sport :
– date of give birth and death
– actual NAME
– GROUP LINEUP
– DECADE & ALL-TIME RANKINGS
– noteworthy AWARDS ( Billboard, Grammy, Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, Rolling Stone )
– CLOVER symbol indicates artist had minimum of 24 hits. The “ 24 Hit Club ” – immediately includes 266 members with photograph !
besides Featuring :
– 4,400+ CLASSIC Non-Hot 100 Songs
– Pre-1955 Roots of Rock Hits
SONG TITLE SECTION Lists alphabetically every song in book with artist name, point position and class charted .
#1 HITS A chronological list, by top out date, of every title to top Billboard ’ s pop singles charts .
– Chart Kings & Queens
– exceed 500 in rank and alphabetic orders
– circus tent 50 by Decade
– circus tent Artists by Year & Category
– Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees & Inductees
Artists With Most :
— Hits on Chart, Top 40, Top 10, at # 1, # 2, # 3
— Weeks at # 1
— Platinum/Gold Hits
— “ Classics ”
– # 1 Sales-Only By Artist
– peak 200 Hits
– top 25 Of Each Decade
– Territorial & Breakouts by City
– Longest Charting
– Singles by Decade
– 300 on Honor Roll Of Hits