- An American Werewolf In London, was brought in to direct. Landis had Jackson turn into a Werewolf in the video. This is a rare popular song with a horror composition. Halloween novelty songs like “ Monster Mash “ had been about for a while, but this was the first hit song with year-round appeal containing lyrics about creatures of the night who terrify their victim. At the time, Michael Jackson was one of the least frighten people on Earth, so the video recording had to sell it. John Landis, who worked on the 1981 movie, was brought in to direct. Landis had Jackson turn into a Werewolf in the video .
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in which Sir Henry Baskerville’s family is supposedly cursed by a bloodthirsty, demonic hound. Price’s personal friends, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee (who appeared in several horror films with him), starred in a loose 1959 film adaptation of it. It was the first Sherlock Holmes film shot in color.
Price recorded the central spoken section in this song on his second take, after it had been written by Rod Temperton in the taxi on the way to the studio for the recording session.
Suggestion credit :
Brett – Edmonton, Canada
Vincent Price, an actor known for his work on horror films, did the narration at the end of the song, including the evil laugh. Price ‘s tap includes the channel “ Must rack and face the hounds of sin. ” This was inspired by the most popular Sherlock Holmes fresh to date, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in which Sir Henry Baskerville ‘s family is purportedly cursed by a bloodthirsty, demonic hound. Price ‘s personal friends, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee ( who appeared in several horror films with him ), starred in a loose 1959 film adaptation of it. It was the first base Sherlock Holmes film shoot in color.Price recorded the central talk segment in this song on his second take, after it had been written by Rod Temperton in the taxi on the room to the studio apartment for the recording session. > >
The video was a cultural milestone, introducing elaborate choreography, costumes and dialogue into the format. It also introduced the concept of the long-form music video, where a mini-movie was made for a song, then edited down for the short version. The long version of “Thriller” runs nearly 14 minutes, but had remarkable longevity, easily racking up over 100 million views when it showed up on YouTube. MTV usually ran the short version, which ran a little under five minutes but still contained about a minute of non-song content in a storyline that omits most of the movie the couple is watching at the beginning.
With its famous graveyard dance, the video popularized group dance scenes in pop videos, a trend Pat Benatar pushed forward earlier in 1983 with her “
The “Thriller” video owes a debt to Alice Cooper, who in 1975 created a movie based on the stage show for his The music video is considered the most celebrated music television of all time, at least by the Library of Congress, which added it to its National Film Registry in 2009, the beginning music video recording in their registry.The video was a cultural milestone, introducing elaborate choreography, costumes and dialogue into the format. It besides introduced the concept of the long-form music television, where a mini-movie was made for a sung, then edited toss off for the short interpretation. The long adaptation of “ Thriller ” runs about 14 minutes, but had noteworthy longevity, easily racking up over 100 million views when it showed up on YouTube. MTV normally ran the short interpretation, which ran a little under five minutes but placid contained about a minute of non-song content in a storyline that omits most of the movie the couple is watching at the beginning.With its celebrated cemetery dance, the video popularized group dance scenes in pop video recording, a course Pat Benatar pushed forward earlier in 1983 with her “ Love Is A Battlefield “ video.The “ Thriller ” video recording owes a debt to Alice Cooper, who in 1975 created a movie based on the phase prove for his Welcome To My Nightmare enlistment. Cooper ‘s production was based on an entire album, but it besides used a repugnance root and was narrated by Vincent Price.
Temperton also wrote two other songs on Thriller: “The Lady in My Life” and ” A british songwriter named Rod Temperton wrote this sung. He was the main songwriter in his band Heatwave, which he formed with two Americans. After Heatwave ‘s sung “ Boogie Nights “ took off in 1977, Jones asked Temperton to write songs for Jackson, resulting in “ Rock With You “ and “ Off The Wall, ” which became the claim track to Jackson ‘s 1979 album. When it came time for Jackson ‘s next album, Temperton again delivered the title track, this time the song “ Thriller. “ Temperton besides wrote two other songs on : “ The lady in My Life ” and “ Baby Be Mine. ” Those were the entirely songs on the album that were n’t released as singles .
- Most homes had VCRs in 1983 and sales of videos were bad occupation. Along with the Jane Fonda exercise tapes, you could buy a VHS or Beta imitate of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, which included the broad video and besides “ The Making of Michael Jackson ‘s Thriller, ” a behind the scenes documentary. This tape became the best sell music video recording at the time, and was late certified by Guinness World Records as the acme sell music video of all time, moving nine million units. Part of its entreaty was the price, a mere $ 24.95 at a time when movies on tape monetary value much more.
The video distribution deal was through a company called Vestron, which approached John Landis about selling the movie directly to consumers, a motion that turned out to be identical profitable. The timing helped, as the television was released a few weeks before Christmas .
- The television won for Best Performance Video, Best Choreography, and Viewers Choice at the first MTV Video Music Awards in 1984. The show was hosted by Dan Aykroyd and Bette Midler .
- Thriller is by far the best sell album in the worldly concern. In the United States, it was overtaken by The Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, but reclaimed the championship after Jackson ‘s death .
- Thriller album. The first single from the album, “Synchronicity by The Police. Thriller held the peak position until April 21, 1984, over a year after it first went to #1 on February 26, 1983. This was the last of seven US Top 10 hits from thealbum. The inaugural single from the album, “ The Girl Is Mine, ” reached its peak chart position of # 2 on January 8, 1983. The song “ Thriller ” was released over a year late, on January 23, 1984, peaking at # 4 on March 3. This life of chart singles from one album was unprecedented, but so was the video for “ Thriller. ” The clip was indeed effective that after six singles and a class of let go of, it boosted so far another track from the album into the crown 10. It besides brought the album back to # 1 on December 24, 1983 – it lost the peak blemish on September 17 toby The Police.held the peak military position until April 21, 1984, over a class after it first went to # 1 on February 26, 1983 .
- Jackson, who was a Jehovah ‘s Witness at the time, insisted on a disclaimer at the beginning of the television read : “ due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult. ” He asked for the disavowal after taking criticism from Witness leaders who objected to the zombies and early creatures that violated their beliefs.
The wholly Jackson kin was raised as Jehovah ‘s Witnesses, but unlike Scientology, celebrities do not get excessive special discussion, and followers were asked not to idolize Jackson, as adulation should be given only to God. After far conflict, Jackson cut ties with the Jehovah ‘s Witnesses in 1987 .
- The video cost about $ 500,000 to make, and Jackson ‘s record company had no intention of paying for it, as the album was on the downswing and they had already financed videos for two of its songs. According to John Landis, Jackson very wanted to turn into a freak, so he offered to pay for the clip himself. Landis took on the project because he saw it as a means to revive the short-circuit movie music genre, which he loved.
Jackson did n’t have to pay for the video out of pocket because they made deals with Showtime and MTV to cover the costs. Showtime got to air a one-hour special with the “ make of ” objective and the 14-minute film before it was broadcast anywhere else. When MTV heard about this, their executive Bob Pittman decided that losing a Michael Jackson video to Showtime was unacceptable, and paid $ 250,000 for the exclusive broadcast rights once Showtime ‘s windowpane ended. MTV was founded on the principle of not paying for videos, so Pittman got around this by paying for the objective, flush though the money was truly used to pay for the film .
- By the time the video was released on December 2, 1983, the album had been out for a year but the sixth single, “ P.Y.T. ( Pretty Young Thing ), ” was distillery climbing the chart. not only that, Jackson ‘s Paul McCartney duet “ Say Say Say ” ( issued on McCartney ‘s album ) was at # 2, about to begin a six-week carry at # 1. The “ Thriller ” individual was released on January 23, 1984, two weeks after “ P.Y.T. ” dropped out of the chart. It debuted at # 20 on February 11 and stayed until May 12, giving the album an 18-month run of hit singles. To compare, Fleetwood Mac ‘s Rumours album had graph singles for 12 months ( all of 1977 ), which seemed to be the restrict. Jackson was able to overcome hearer fatigue and extend his reign thanks to the video and some astute clock .
- Tonight Show, laughingly stated that when he did the narration for “Thriller” (at the request of Michael Jackson who was a big fan of Price) he had a choice between taking a percentage of the album sales or $20,000. Price was well along in his career, so he took the $20,000. He was good-natured about it when Carson told him he could have made millions off of the royalties due to the vast number of copies sold even at that time. Price laughed heartily and said: “How well I know!”
Suggestion credit :
Jonnie – St. Louis, MO
Vincent Price, while a guest on the Johnny Carson ‘s, laughingly stated that when he did the narration for “ Thriller ” ( at the request of Michael Jackson who was a big fan of Price ) he had a choice between taking a share of the album sales or $ 20,000. price was well along in his career, so he took the $ 20,000. He was good-natured about it when Carson told him he could have made millions off of the royalties ascribable to the huge number of copies sold flush at that time. Price laughed heartily and said : “ How well I know ! ” > >
- Before the 14-minute short-change film of Thriller aired on Showtime or MTV, it was screened at the Metro Crest Theater in Los Angeles. This screening took station on November 14, 1983 and drew a assembly of stars, including Diana Ross and Eddie Murphy .
- In 2008, Thriller 25, a special twenty-fifth anniversary edition of Thriller, was released. The re-recorded album debuted at # 2 on the Top Comprehensive Albums chart, where catalog titles mix with current best-sellers. This made it the highest-charting catalog album in the history of the Top Comprehensive Albums survey. Despite selling 166,000 copies in its debut workweek, it was not eligible for the main albums chart, as Billboard considered it to be a catalogue or oldies album and Billboard publishes a special graph fair for catalog albums.
- The translation of the sung in the video is different from the one on the album, which you need to account for if you ‘re planning to stage a “ Thriller ” dance. On the album, the song begins with a series of skittish sound effects that do n’t lend themselves to dancing.
Editing the birdcall for the video was a challenge because producer Quincy Jones would n’t release the victor tapes. In the book I Want My MTV, John Landis explains how they got around this limitation. “ The song was five minutes long, and I needed it to be 12 minutes for the video, ” he said. “ so Michael and I went to the recording studio at three in the good morning. We walked past the guard – ‘Hi, Michael. ‘ ‘Hi ‘ – put the tracks in a big bag and walked out with them. then we drove across Hollywood, duped them, and put them back. ”
- When Rod Temperton started writing this song, he called it “ Starlight ” or “ starlight Love ” – one of his early demonstration its titled “ Starlight Sun. ” Quincy Jones wanted a better title, so Temperton wracked his brain until he settled on “ Midnight man. ” then he got a better theme.
“ I woke up, and I just said this word, ” he told The Sunday Telegraph in 2007. “ Something in my headway just said, this is the title. You could visualize it on the acme of the Billboard charts. You could see the selling for this one word, how it jumped off the page as ‘Thriller. ‘ ”
- In the UK this has become a Halloween chart perennial, starting in 2007 when it reached # 57. In 2008, it reached # 35 after 1,227 people gathered in Notttingham on Halloween to perform the dance dressed as zombies. It has returned to the chart every year since.
Following Jackson ‘s death in the summer of 2009, “ thriller ” made an extra UK chart appearance, climbing to # 12 .
- Rod Temperton recalled that when he wrote this song he envisaged “ this talking segment at the end and did n’t know very what we were going to do with it. But one matter I ‘d thought about was to have a celebrated spokesperson in the repugnance music genre to do the song. Quincy ( Jones, producer ) ‘s wife knew Vincent Price, so Quincy said to me, ‘How about if we got Vincent Price ? ‘ ” ( Source Q magazine August 2009 ) .
- In the workweek of Jackson ‘s death, sales of his records soared. In the US, this birdcall was the recently singer ‘s best-selling track at 167,000 copies, while the top-selling album was Number Ones at 108,000 .
- In an consultation from the 1980s, published by the News of The World, Jackson revealed that he was considering scrapping the Thriller album before being inspired by watching children play. He said : “ Thriller sounded so bullshit. The desegregate sucked. When we listened to the solid album, there were tears … I barely cried like a child. I stormed out of the board and said, ‘We ‘re not releasing this ‘. ” Jackson added : “ One of the alimony crowd in the studio had a bicycle and so I took it and rode up to the schoolyard. I just watched the children play. When I came back I was ready to rule the earth. I went into the studio and I turned them songs out. ”
The trend picked up steam with the 2004 movie 13 Going On 30, where Jennifer Garner turns a stodgy party into a joyous occasion by starting a Thriller dance. In 2006, Guinness introduced the “Largest Thriller Dance” category, set by a group of 62 people in Toronto. This group organized under the name “Thrill The World” and staged more record breaking attempts over the next several years, establishing a tradition where the dance is done in conjunction with Halloween with the dancers dressed as zombies.
In 2007, a group of about
The 2008 Nottingham, England gathering of 1,227 zombie dancers established a new mark, but in 2009 that record was shattered by a gathering in Mexico City when The Thriller dancing has become the global ‘s most celebrated stage dancing, fueled by a number of stunts and viral videos. Those who grew up with the song know at least some of the moves and much get a rush of nostalgia from them. It besides crosses cultural boundaries, giving it global appeal.The drift picked up steam with the 2004 movie, where Jennifer Garner turns a fogyish party into a joyous juncture by starting a Thriller dance. In 2006, Guinness introduced the “ Largest Thriller Dance ” class, set by a group of 62 people in Toronto. This group organized under the name “ Thrill The World ” and staged more record transgress attempts over the future respective years, establishing a custom where the dance is done in junction with Halloween with the dancers dressed as zombies.In 2007, a group of about 1500 prisoners in the Philippines did a surprisingly well everyday to the birdcall, resulting in a television that cursorily gathered millions of views. This is one of the few non-Zombie Thriller dances to get a lot care – they were wearing their orange prison jumpsuits.The 2008 Nottingham, England gather of 1,227 zombi dancers established a new mark, but in 2009 that record was shattered by a assemble in Mexico City when 13,597 ghoulish dancers took to the streets. This took set on August 29, on what would have been Jackson ‘s 51st birthday .
- The UPC code on the album breed contained seven digits that were rumored to be Jackson ‘s call number. People with that phone number in many different area codes got swamped with annoying calls .
- The female run in the video recording is Ola Ray, who was Playboy ‘s Miss June of 1980 .
- In 2008, this was used in a commercial for Sobe beverages that premiered on the Super Bowl. It showed their lounge lizard mascots dancing to the song with model Naomi Campbell. It was n’t the first time Campbell danced on film to a Michael Jackson song : she appeared in his video for “ In The Closet. ”
- Welcome To My Nightmare tour. A highly theatrical production, the stage show was made into a movie that year, with Price performing his introduction. In many ways, Welcome To My Nightmare was an antecedent to “Thriller.” There is n’t much crossing over between Michael Jackson and Alice Cooper, but they have Vincent Price in coarse. The shock rocker used Price on the presentation to his 1975 song “ The Black Widow, ” which was a key region of Cooper ‘s subsequenttour. A highly theatrical production, the degree picture was made into a movie that year, with Price performing his introduction. In many ways, was an antecedent to “ Thriller. ”
- particular makeup effects were created by Rick Baker ( who plays the zombi whose sleeve falls off in the cemetery sequence ). Baker was the first gear Academy Award winner in the Best Make-Up category for his work in An American Werewolf in London ( 1981 ) .
- Michael Jackson provided the beast sounds himself after a fail attempt from a disinterested canine. Bruce Swedien, the album ‘s mastermind, had the bright theme of recruiting his 200-pound Great Dane for the roar. He brought the frump into a barn at night to listen to the coyotes, hoping it would prompt an eerie reception, but the pooch refused to comply.
Read more: The 100 Greatest Songs of All Time
- For the creaking door effects, Swedien rented a few strait effects doors from Universal Studios in Hollywood and spent a sidereal day recording the miked hinges. It ‘s potential the play along footsteps came from Jackson .
- Because of a disagreement over royalties, Vincent Price ‘s rap was not included in the 7 ” individual interpretation of the recording .
- A black-and-red calf jacket worn by Jackson in the song ‘s video recording was bought by Milton Verret, a Texas commodities trader at an auction in California for $ 1.8 million in June 2011. Jackson wore the jacket in the scene where a group of zombies rise from their graves and break into a dance act .