Here are the 20 best U2 songs of all time:
20. “ Miss Sarajevo ” ( Original Soundtracks )
Part of the Original SoundtracksPavoratti, allowing Bono a rare moment of understate vocals .
19. “ Vertigo ” ( How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb )
It ’ s hard to separate the music from the dancing rainbow silhouettes, but “ Vertigo ” is equitable a hideously attention-getting tune.
Reading: The 20 Best U2 Songs of All Time
18. “ The unforgettable Fire ” ( The Unforgettable Fire )
With the commercial success of Warand they lured Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois to produce The unforgettable Fire. The roomy deed track proved that to be a great decisiveness .
17. “ Angel of Harlem ” ( Rattle and Hum )
It ’ s slowly to write off Rattle and Hum as an unfortunate post-Joshua Tree hiccup, but the album has quite a few disregarded gems like this horn-filled tribute to Billie Holiday .
16. “ I Will Follow ” ( Boy )
The entirely song the band has performed on every go, their first hit one “ I Will Follow ” is about categoric love. How bum does
15. “ Bullet the Blue Sky ” ( Joshua Tree )
Bono growls the lyrics of Joshua Tree ’ s fourth track, and The Edge ’ s guitar screeches like a enchantress. As the birdcall breaks down, Bono turns it into a poetry slam .
14. “ 40 ” ( War )
Bloody Sunday ” they ask “ How long to sing this song ? ” In the closer, Bono declares “ I will sing, sing a new sung ” before returning bringing that master doubt into a new context .
13. “ Acrobat ” ( Achtung Baby )
If “ I placid Haven ’ t Found What I ’ ve Looking For ” was a elegy about not having all the answers, “ Acrobat ” is an angry response to those who might try to shove false ones in your boldness .
12. “ Stay ( Faraway, So Close ) ” ( Zooropa )
I don ’ t have a bunch of love for Zooropa, but this sung is an understated prize in an album of overindulgence .
11. “ All I Want Is You ” ( Rattle and Hum )
Another bright spot on Rattle and Hum is closer “ All I Want Is You. ” An epic affair clocking in at over six minutes with The Edge ’ s rambling guitar playing off the orchestral strings.
10. “ New Year ’ s Day ” ( War )
wailing guitars or Bono ’ s pleading vocals, Clayton ’ s bass wrinkle communicates the urine and vinegar of “ New Year ’ s Day. ”
9. “ Running To Stand still ” ( Joshua Tree )
It about doesn ’ t matter how bad your voice is ; there are no better lyrics to sing along to at the top of your lungs than “ You ’ ve got to cry without weeping/Talk without speaking/Scream without raising your voice. ”
8. “ Beautiful Day ” ( All That You Can ’ thymine Leave Behind )
Forget that it ’ mho been co-opted by every unmarried political campaigner from the Peoria city council race all the way up to Indecision 2008. This song was carefully crafted to fill every nook and crevice in the global ’ s largest stadiums and fundraising dinners .
7. “ Bad ” ( The Unforgettable Fire )
The Eno/Lanois dreamy atmospherics besides worked particularly well on “ Bad, ” a sung about heroin addiction .
6. “ With Or Without You ” ( Joshua Tree )
Again, Eno and Lanois ’ ethereal healthy collage transforms a straight-forward love song into the sound of a heart separate .
5. “ I still Haven ’ thyroxine Found What I ’ megabyte Looking For ” ( Joshua Tree )
apparitional longing has rarely been captured so well in a pop song .
4. “ One ” ( Achtung Baby )
appropriately adequate, “ One ” is the song that excellently held the band in concert after creative differences were causing tension .
3. “ Sunday Bloody Sunday ” ( War )
One of the most immediately recognizable drum beats kicks off this consummate protest record like a margin call to arms. It ’ s an album about war, and the Irish band writes what they know.
Read more: The 100 Greatest Songs of All Time
2. “ Where the Streets Have No name ” ( Joshua Tree )
Ireland. With a full moment of Brian Eno atmospherics and closely another hour of instrumental build, Bono ’ s stadium-rock beseeching feels perfect .
1. “ Pride ( In The name Of Love ) ” ( The Unforgettable Fire )
good in the face of atrocious evil. The Edge ’ mho guitar and Bono ’ mho vocals conflict for the greatest heights. A perfect tribute for MLK .