Sligo – Wikipedia

not to be confused with Siligo
Town in Connacht, Ireland
Sligo ( SLY-goh ; irish : Sligeach [ ˈʃlʲɪɟəx ], meaning ‘abounding in shells ‘ ) is a coastal seaport and the county township of County Sligo, Ireland, within the western state of Connacht. With a population of approximately 20,000 in 2016, [ 2 ] it is the largest urban kernel in the county, with Sligo Borough District constituting 61 % ( 38,581 ) of the county ‘s population of 63,000. [ 3 ]

Sligo is a commercial and cultural centre situated on the west coast of Ireland. Its surrounding coast and countryside, deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as its connections to the poet W. B. Yeats, have made it a tourist destination .

history [edit ]

etymology [edit ]

Sligo is the anglicization of the Irish list Sligeach, meaning “ abounding in shells ” or “ shelly place ”. It refers to the abundance of shellfish found in the river and its estuary, and from the extensive shell middens in the vicinity. [ 4 ] [ 5 ] The river now known as the Garavogue ( irish : An Ghairbhe-og ), possibly meaning “ little downpour ”, was originally called the Sligeach. [ 6 ] It is listed as one of the seven “ royal rivers ” of Ireland in the ninth hundred AD narrative The Destruction of Da Dergas Hostel. The river Slicech is besides referenced in the Annals of Ulster in 1188. [ 6 ] The Ordnance Survey letters of 1836 state that “ handcart loads of shells were found clandestine in many places within the town where houses now stand ”. The wholly area, from the river estuary at Sligo, around the coast to the river at Ballysadare Bay, is rich in marine resources which were utilised as far back as the Mesolithic time period .

early history [edit ]

The importance of Sligo ‘s localization in prehistory is demonstrated by the abundance of ancient sites close by and even within the town. For exercise, Sligo township ‘s first devious was constructed around a megalithic passage grave at Abbeyquarter North in Garavogue Villas. [ 7 ] This is an outlier of the large group of monuments at Carrowmore on the Cúil Irra Peninsula on the western outskirts of the town. The area around Sligo town has one of the highest densities of prehistoric archaeological sites in Ireland, and is the only place in which all classes of irish megalithic monuments are to be found together. Knocknarea mountain, capped by the great cairn of Miosgan Maeve, dominates the horizon to the west of the township. Cairns Hill on the southerly edge of the town besides has two very large pit cairns. Excavations for the NRA for the N4 Sligo Inner Relief Road in 2002 revealed an early Neolithic causeway enclosure ( c. 4000 B.C. ) at Maugheraboy on high crunch overlooking the town from the south. This is the oldest causeway enclosure so army for the liberation of rwanda discovered in Britain or Ireland. [ 8 ] It consists of a big area enclosed by a segment dump and wall, and was possibly an sphere of commerce and ritual. These monuments are associated with the coming of agriculture and hence the first gear farmers in Ireland. According to archaeologist Edward Danagher, who excavated the locate, “ Magheraboy indicates a stable and successful population during the final centuries of the one-fifth millennium and the first centuries of the fourth millennium BC ”. [ 9 ] Danagher ‘s work besides documented a Bronze Age Henge at Tonafortes ( beside the Carraroe carousel ) on the southern outskirts of Sligo town. Sligo Bay is an ancient natural harbor, being known to Greek, Phoenician and Roman traders as the area is thought by some to be the location marked as the city of Nagnata on Claudius Ptolemy ‘s second century AD coordinate map of the world. [ 10 ] During the early medieval period, the site of Sligo was eclipsed by the importance of the great monastery founded by Columcille 5 miles to the north at Drumcliff. By the twelfth hundred, there was a bridge and small village in being at the web site of the introduce town .

medieval history [edit ]

The Norman knight Maurice Fitzgerald, the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, is generally credited with the institution of the medieval European-style town and port of Sligo, building Sligo Castle in 1245. The annalists refer to the town as a sraidbhaile ( ‘street settlement ‘ ) which seems to have consisted of the castle and an attach defensive bawn in the vicinity of Quay street. A dominican Friary ( Blackfriars ) was besides founded by Maurice Fitzgerald and the King of Connacht Felim mac Cathal Crobderg Ua Conchobair in 1253. This was unintentionally destroyed by displace in 1414, and was subsequently rebuilt in its present shape by Tighernan O ’ Rourke. Norman hegemony was, however, not destined to last long in Sligo. The Norman advance was halted in Sligo after the conflict of Credran Cille in 1257 at Ros Ceite ( Rosses Point ) between Godfrey O’Donnell, Lord of Tirconnell, and Maurice Fitzgerald. Both commanders were mortally wounded in individual combat. The Norman invasion of Tír Chonaill was abandoned after this. In 1289 a sketch indicates there were 180 burgesses in the town. The Normans had laid a foundation that was to final. The town is unique in Ireland in that it is the only Norman-founded irish town to have been under about continuous native Irish manipulate throughout the Medieval period. Despite anglo-french attempts to retake it, it became the administrative center of the O’Conor Sligo ( O’Conchobar Sligigh ) alliance of Iochtar Connacht ( Lower Connacht ) by 1315 AD. besides called Clan Aindrias, the O ‘Conors were a branch of the O’Conchobar dynasty of Kings of Connacht. It continued to develop within the túath ( irish district ) of Cairbre Drom Cliabh becoming the effective concentrate of the alliance of túatha. The early irish túatha subject to here were Tír Fhíacrach Múaidhe, Luighne Connacht, Tir Olliol and Corann. Throughout this clock time Sligo was under the system of Fénechus ( Brehon ) jurisprudence and was ruled by the Gaelic arrangement of an elected Rí túath ( territory king/lord ), and an assembly known as an oireacht. Through contest between Gaelic dynasties for the lucrative port duties of Sligo, the town was burned, sacked or besieged approximately 49 times during the chivalric period, according to the annals of Ireland. [ 11 ] These raids seem to have had fiddling effect on the development of the town, as by the mid-15th century the town and port had grown in importance. It traded with Galway, Bristol, France and Spain. Amongst the earliest continue specimens of written English in Connacht is a reception for 20 marks, dated August 1430, paid by Saunder Lynche and Davy Botyller, to Henry Blake and Walter Blake, customers of “ ye King and John Rede, restrainer of ye porte of Galvy and of Slego ”. Sligo continued under Gaelic control until the recently sixteenth hundred when, during the Elizabethan conquest, it was selected as the county town for the newly shired County of Sligo. An club was sent by the Elizabethan Government to Sir Nicholas Malby, Knight, wanting him to establish “ apt and safe ” places for the keeping of the Assizes & Sessions, with walls of lime & stone, in each county of Connacht, “ evaluate that the aptest place be in Sligo, for the County of Sligo… ” [ 12 ] The walls were never built .

17th and 18th centuries [edit ]

Sligo Abbey, actually a dominican Friary, although a deflower, is the entirely chivalric build left standing in the township. much of the structure, including the choir, carved altar ( the only one in situ in Ireland ) and cloisters remains. When Sir Frederick Hamilton ‘s parliamentarian soldiers partially sacked Sligo in 1642, the Friary was burned and many friars killed. During the Williamite War ( 1689–91 ) the town was fought over between the Jacobite Irish Army firm to James II and Williamite forces. Patrick Sarsfield was able to capture the town and repulsed a Williamite attack to retake it. In 1798 a mix impel of the Limerick Militia, Essex Fencibles and local yeomanry under a Colonel Vereker [ 13 ] were defeated at the battle of Carricknagat at Collooney by the aggregate Irish and french forces under General Humbert. A street in the town is named after the hero of this struggle Bartholomew Teeling. The Lady Erin monument at Market Cross was erected in 1899 to mark the centennial of the 1798 Rebellion. [ 14 ]

nineteenth hundred [edit ]

The town suffered badly from a cholera outbreak in 1832. Scholars speculate that Bram Stoker, whose mother Charlotte Blake Thornley was credibly ( there are no records and the family lived in both Sligo and Ballyshannon ) [ 15 ] born in Sligo in 1818 [ 16 ] and experienced the epidemic first hand, was influenced by her stories when he wrote his celebrated novel, Dracula. The family lived on Correction Street in the township. After fleeing to Ballyshannon, Charlotte wrote :

At the end of that time, we were able to live in peace till the plague had abated and we could return to Sligo. There, we found the streets grass-grown and five-eighths of the population dead. We had big reason to thank God who had spared us. [ 15 ] — Charlotte Thornley Stoker

Sligo Famine Memorial on the quays The Great Famine between 1847 and 1851 caused over 30,000 people to emigrate through the port of Sligo. [ 17 ] On the Quays, overlooking the Garavogue River, is a cast bronze memorial to the emigrants. This is one of a suite of three sculptures commissioned by the Sligo Famine Commemoration Committee to honour the victims of the Great Famine. A plaque in the background tells one family ‘s deplorable history :

I am now, I may say, alone in the world. All my brothers and sisters are dead and children but yourself… We are all ejected out of Mr. Enright’s ground… The times was so bad and all Ireland in such a state of poverty that no person could pay rent. My only hope now rests with you, as I am without one shilling and as I said before I must either beg or go to the poorhouse… I remain your affectionate father, Owen Larkin. Be sure answer this by return of post. — ‘Letter to America, 2 January 1850 ‘

twentieth century [edit ]

The early on years of the century saw much industrial agitation as workers in the Port of Sligo fight for better pay and conditions. This resulted in two major strikes, in 1912 and, in 1913 the elongated Sligo dock strickle. Both ended in victory for the workers. Sligo Town was heavily garrisoned by the british Army during the War of Independence. For this reason IRA activeness was limited to actions such as harassment, sabotage and break. At assorted times during the war outstanding Republicans were held at the Sligo Gaol. The commander of IRA forces in Sligo was Liam Pilkington. Arthur Griffith spoke in April 1922 on the corner of O ‘ Connell St. and Grattan St. To this day it is known as Griffiths corner. During the Civil war, Sligo railroad track station was blown up by Anti-Treaty forces on 10 January 1923. In 1961 St. John the Baptist ‘s Church became a cathedral of the Diocese of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh after St. Mary ‘s Cathedral in Elphin was abandoned, being destroyed by a storm four years previously .

geography [edit ]

aerial view of Sligo Situated on a coastal plain facing the Atlantic Ocean, Sligo is located on abject perplex hills on the banks of the Garavogue River between Lough Gill and the estuary of the Garavogue river leading to Sligo Bay. The town is surrounded on three sides by an arch of mountains, with the Ox Mountain ridges of Slieve Daeane and Killery Mountain to the southeast border Lough Gill. The flat topped limestone tableland of Cope ‘s, Keelogyboy and Castlegal Mountains to the north and northeastern and the singular mound of Knocknarea with its Neolithic cairn to the west and the distinctive high tableland of Benbulben to the north. Sligo is an authoritative bridge point on the main north–south route between Ulster and Connacht. It is the county town of County Sligo and is in the Barony of Carbury ( once the Gaelic tuath of Cairbre Drom Cliabh ). Sligo is the diocesan seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Elphin. It is in the Church of Ireland Diocese of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh. County Sligo is one of the counties of the state of Connacht. It is contribution of the Border Region, a region of over 500,000 people which besides comprises the counties of Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Louth and Monaghan. [ 18 ]

computer architecture [edit ]

The town consists of a medieval core street layout, but with chiefly 19th-century buildings, many of which are of architectural deserve. [ 19 ] The town has a High Street which descends from the south of the township and terminates in a market flare at the Market Cross, a practice typical of Norman street layouts. here it meets the east west road leading from the Abbeyquarter on the east side to St. Johns Cathedral to the west. This seems to have been the first street laid out in the town. Burgage plots of Norman beginning are besides apparent in the long narrow property boundaries distinctive of the centre of the town. [ 19 ] The only surviving medieval build is Sligo Holy Cross Dominican Friary built in 1252. An arch tower and three sided religious residence of the Abbey Church placid survive. The next old extant construction is the Cathedral of St Mary the Virgin and St. John the Baptist on John Street. The current build up dates from 1730 when it was designed by the german architect Richard Cassels who was visiting to design Hazelwood House. The cathedral contains four memorials to the Pollexfen family, parental relatives of W. B. Yeats. [ 20 ] In the nineteenth century, Sligo experienced rapid economic increase and therefore architectural change was rapid. [ 19 ] This was marked by the erection of many public buildings. These include Sligo Town Hall, designed by William Hague in a Lombardo-Romanesque style. Sligo Courthouse on Teeling street is an asymmetrical Neo-Gothic construction designed by Rawson Carroll and built in 1878. The Gilooly Memorial Hall is an austere build on Temple Street built as a memorial to the Temperance campaigner Bishop Gillooly. His statue above the door bears the dedication “ Ireland sober up, is Ireland dislodge ”. The Model School, now the Model Arts & Niland Gallery, was built by James Owen of the Board of Works to provide education to all denominations between 1857 and 1863, it was to serve as a mannequin for early schools throughout the country. [ 21 ] Sligo has three buildings in the Art and Crafts architectural style, [ citation needed ] the Masonic Lodge on the Mall designed by Belfast architect Henry Seaver, the Yeats Memorial Building designed by Vincent Craig, besides from Belfast, on Lower Knox Street and Weston House on Union Street. The former Batchelors factory on deep Water Quay is an industrial build up which was built in 1905 as a corn grind and grain silo, and used an advanced construction method acting invented by François Hennebique in 1892. It is one of the earliest examples of its type in Ireland. [ 22 ]

climate [edit ]

Sligo ‘s climate is classified, like all of Ireland, as moderate oceanic. It is characterised by senior high school levels of precipitation and a narrow annual temperature range. The bastardly annual temperature is 9.4 degrees Celsius ( 49 degrees Fahrenheit ). The mean January temperature is 5.2 °C ( 41 °F ), while the mean July temperature is 15.3 °C ( 60 °F ). On average, the driest months are April to June while the wettest months are October to January. rain averages 1131 millimeter ( 44.5 in ) per year. The senior high school rain means Sligo is in the temperate rain forest biome, examples of which exist around Lough Gill. [ 23 ] The lowest temperature ever recorded in Ireland was −19.1 °C ( −2.4 °F ) at Markree Castle, County Sligo, on 16 January 1881 .

Climate data for Markree Castle, Co. Sligo (1981–2010 averages)
Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Daily mean °C (°F) 5.2
(41.4)
5.5
(41.9)
7.1
(44.8)
8.6
(47.5)
11.1
(52.0)
13.6
(56.5)
15.3
(59.5)
14.9
(58.8)
13.1
(55.6)
10.2
(50.4)
7.3
(45.1)
5.6
(42.1)
9.8
(49.6)
Average rainfall mm (inches) 130.8
(5.15)
91.6
(3.61)
108.9
(4.29)
77.9
(3.07)
81.4
(3.20)
82.2
(3.24)
93.0
(3.66)
101.5
(4.00)
104.4
(4.11)
134.3
(5.29)
128.4
(5.06)
125.7
(4.95)
1,260.1
(49.61)
Source: Met Éireann[24]

Demographics [edit ]

Sligo at night As of 2016, Sligo had a population of 19,199 made up of 9,238 males and 9,961 females. irish citizens made up 85.1 % of the population with Polish ( 886 persons or 5.5 % ) as the following largest minority, followed by people from countries outside the EU ( 753 persons or 4.1 % ). [ 2 ] 6,299 persons could speak the irish linguistic process and of these 1,639 spoke the language casual but only within the education system. 3,117 persons spoke a speech other than irish or english at home and, of these, 438 could not speak English well or at all. Polish was the most coarse extraneous terminology spoken at dwelling, with 980 speakers. [ 2 ]

religion [edit ]

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception In the 2016 Census, there were 14,428 Roman Catholics in the area. A far 2,102 were adherents of other express religions ; [ a ] 1,959 persons indicated that they had no religion. [ 2 ] Sligo is located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Elphin. The main church service of the diocese is the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception which is located on Temple Street. other catholic churches in the town are St. Anne ‘s Church, Cranmore [ 25 ] and St. Joseph ‘s Church, Ballytivnan. [ 26 ] The town is besides function of the Church of Ireland United Diocese of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh. The chief church in the diocese is the St John the Baptist Cathedral, Sligo which is located on John Street. Sligo Presbyterian Church is located at Church Street and Sligo Methodist Church is located at Wine Street. The Sligo-Leitrim Islamic Cultural Centre ( SLICC ) is located on Mail Coach Road. [ 27 ]

economy [edit ]

Sligo Town at dusk Sligo is in the BMW ( Border, Midlands and West ) region, an area classified as an developing “ region in transition ” by the EU Commission. This is an area where GDP is from 75 % to 90 % of the EU average. It is entitled to funding from european Regional Development Fund ( ERDF ) Operational Programmes, which are administered by the Northern & Western Regional Assembly. [ 28 ] Sligo is besides separate of the Border region, a historically disadvantaged sphere within Ireland, created after the 1922 partition of Ireland. A study by the European Committee of the Regions found that Ireland ‘s edge counties were the most exposed in Europe to the economic effects of Brexit. Sligo is a major services and shopping center within this region. As of 2016 the avail sector is the elementary employment sector in the county, employing 18,760 ( 71.7 % ) of work force. industry and construction makes up 17 % ( 4,427 ) of employment, and agribusiness, forestry and fishing 7.2 % ( 1,868 ). The full number employed is 26,002. 3,843 people are employed in agency assisted ( IDA ) companies. Sligo borough labor catchment as of 2016 is 21,824. [ 29 ] 92 % of enterprises in Sligo are micro-enterprises of 10 or fewer employees. Sligo has traditionally been a center for the tool-making industry. [ clarification needed ] The pharmaceutical industry is significant with several companies producing goods for this sector, [ 30 ] including Abbott ( Ireland ) Ltd, which is among the largest employers in Sligo. [ 31 ] Development has occurred along the River Garavogue with the regeneration of J.F.K. Parade ( 2000 ), Rockwood Parade ( 1993–1997 ), and The Riverside ( 1997–2006 ), equally good as two new footbridges over the river, one on Rockwood Parade ( 1996 ) and one on The Riverside ( 1999 ). [ citation needed ] Sligo has a kind of mugwump shops and denounce malls. There is a retail park in Carraroe, on the outskirts of Sligo. [ 32 ]

culture [edit ]

The polish of County Sligo, particularly of North Sligo, was an inspiration on both poet and Nobel laureate W. B. Yeats and his brother, the artist and illustrator Jack Butler Yeats. A collection of Jack B. Yeats ‘s art is held in The Niland Gallery on The Mall in Sligo. [ 33 ] The Yeats Summer School takes place every year in the town. [ 34 ] Sligo township has connections with Goon Show star and writer Spike Milligan, whose founder was from Sligo, and a brass was unveiled at the early Milligan family dwelling on Sligo ‘s Holborn Street. [ 35 ]

traditional Irish music [edit ]

traditional irish music sessions are held in several venues in the town. [ 36 ] In the early thirteenth hundred, the poet and reformer Muireadhach Albanach Ó Dálaigh kept a school of poetry at Lissadell north of Sligo township. He was Ollamh Fileadh ( High Poet ) to the Ó Domhnaill kings of Tír Chonaill. The school appears to have been dissolved after the Norman invasion. In the sixteenth hundred, the poet Tadhg Dall Ó hÚigínn wrote many praise poems in rigorous Dán Díreach meter for local chiefs and patrons such as the O’Conor Sligo. He was killed for a sarcasm he wrote on the O’Haras. The annals record the death in 1561 of Naisse macintosh Cithruadh, the “ most eminent musician that was in Éireann ”, by drowning on Lough Gill. [ citation needed ] In the seventeenth century, two brothers from County Sligo, Thomas and William Connellan from Cloonamahon, were among the last of the big irish bards and harpists. Thomas is the writer of the tune Molly MacAlpin, now known as Carolan’s Dream, and William may have written Love is a Tormenting Pain and Killiecrankie. traditional musicians from Sligo active in the early twentieth hundred include Michael Coleman, James Morrison and Paddy Killoran. [ citation needed ]

Festivals [edit ]

Sligo hosts respective festivals throughout the year, including Sligo Live, occurring every October ; the Sligo Summer Festival, which celebrated the four-hundredth anniversary of Sligo town ; and the Fleadh Cheoil, which the town hosted in three back-to-back years ( 1989, 1990 and 1991 ) and again in 2014 and 2015. approximately 400,000 people attended the 2014 and 2015 festivals. During the festival, a lot of the music was played by musicians on the streets of Sligo. [ citation needed ] The Sligo Jazz Project is held every July. [ citation needed ] Another annual festival, the Sligo Festival of Baroque Music, was started in 1995 and takes seat on the last weekend of September. [ 37 ]
The Garavogue River and Rockwood Parade ( good )

dramaturgy [edit ]

Sligo besides has a tradition of dramaturgy, both professional and amateur. Sligo has had a dramaturgy at least as far back as 1750, according to Wood-Martins ’ History of Sligo, and much “ her Majesty ‘s servants from the Theatre Royal, Crow Street …. visited Sligo, even during the Dublin season, showing that in those days the town appreciated the Drama, for in some instances the company remained during several months ”. [ citation needed ] There are now two full-time theatres in the town, including the Blue Raincoat Theatre Company, was founded in 1990 and based in Quay street. [ 38 ] Sligo is besides home to Hawk ‘s Well Theatre, a 340-seat dramaturgy founded in 1982. [ 38 ]

In media [edit ]

Sligo is the setting for author Declan Burke ‘s series of unvoiced boiled detective novels, featuring detective Harry Rigby. [ 39 ] Sebastian Barry ‘s novels The Secret Scripture and The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty are besides set in Sligo town. Sligo is the set for John Michael McDonagh ‘s 2014 darkly comedic drama film Calvary, [ 40 ] in which a priest continues to serve his parishioners despite their increased hostility towards him and the Catholic Church. in concert with Dublin, County Sligo is one of the two main settings for Sally Rooney ‘s 2018 fresh, Normal People. A 2020 adaptation made by BBC Three and Hulu was partially filmed in Sligo. [ 41 ]

sport [edit ]

The town is home to 2012 League of Ireland Premier Division champions Sligo Rovers, who have played home matches at The Showgrounds since they were founded in 1928. There are besides a number of junior association football ( soccer ) clubs who play in the Sligo/Leitrim & District league from the township. These include Calry Bohemians, Cartron United, City United & St. John ‘s FC who play in the Super League and Glenview Stars, MCR FC, Merville United & Swagman Wanderers who play in the Premier League .

celtic games [edit ]

There are three GAA clubs located in and around the town, including Calry/St. Joseph ‘s of Hazelwood, St John ‘s of Cuilbeg and St Mary ‘s of Ballydoogan with Coolera/Strandhill of Ransboro and Drumcliffe/Rosses Point GAA besides being close up by. St John ‘s and St Mary ‘s compete in the Sligo Senior Football Championship while Calry/St Joseph ‘s compete in the Sligo Intermediate Football Championship and the Sligo Senior Hurling Championship. These clubs besides field Junior, Ladies, Minor and Underage teams. Many of the major Gaelic football and hurl matches, such as the inter-county family games of Sligo or a club championship finals, take place at Markievicz Park .

rugby [edit ]

Sligo RFC is situated at Hamilton Park, Strandhill, 8 kilometer west of the town. This club participates in the Ulster Bank All-Ireland League Division 2B .

other sports [edit ]

Sligo ( in finical Strandhill ) is a location for surfboard, and there are respective surf schools in the area. [ citation needed ] There are two nearby golf courses, Co. Sligo ( Rosses Point ) Golf Club and Strandhill Golf Club. besides equitable north of the borough boundary at Lisnalurg, there is Pitch and Putt called Bertie ‘s. Rosses Point hosted the West of Ireland Championship in which future golfing leading Rory McIlroy won in back-to-back years ( 2005 and 2006 ). Two basketball clubs are based in the town. These are Sligo All-Stars ( located at the Mercy College Gymnasium ) and Sligo Giant Warriors ( whose venue is the Sligo Grammar Gymnasium ). Sligo Racecourse at Cleveragh hosts rush days at least 8 times per year .

government [edit ]

Sligo was administered by its own local oireachtas and the kings of Cáirbre Drom Cliab until the English seduction in the early seventeenth century. This district corresponds closely to the newly created Sligo Borough District. Sligo town then became an incorporate municipal borough with a Royal rent issued by the british King James I between 1613 and 1614. It had the right to elect 12 burgesses to the pot. On 1 June 2014 the erstwhile Borough Council was dissolved and administration of the town was amalgamated with the County Council. Sligo is now part of an expanded municipal borough district extending from Collooney to the molding with County Leitrim at Tullaghan and containing a population of around 40,000. It elects 10 councillors of 18 in total to Sligo County Council. Sligo has had a mayor since incorporation in 1613. With the re-organisation of local government in 2014 the title has been restyled as Mayor of the Municipal District and since 2019 as Mayor of Sligo Borough District. The mayor is selected ( by vote ) by the six councillors elected for the Sligo/Strandhill LEA District. [ citation needed ]

law enforcement [edit ]

Sligo courthouse From its foundation in the thirteenth century, Sligo was administered under local Fénechus ( Brehon police ) until the establishment of English Common law in the early seventeenth hundred after the struggle of Kinsale. Courts were held regularly throughout the tuath at diverse buildings and on hilltops reserved for the function. Law enforcement was a function of the nobility and freemen of the sphere as no police effect existed. No records survive from these early courts, but a case is recorded of a Dublin merchant being reimbursed by the local courts after he was fraudulently sold an out of go steady poem in the 1540s. [ 42 ] Sligo then came under English martial law and finally the common law as administered from Dublin and from which descends the deliver system. The modern Sligo Courthouse was built in 1878. It hosts regular District and Circuit Court sittings throughout the year, and occasionally the eminent Court. After 1922 the establishment of Garda Síochána. Sligo-Leitrim divisional headquarters of the Garda Síochána is on Teeling street in the town on the web site of the old RIC barracks .

Health services [edit ]

Sligo provides hospital services to much of the North westerly region. The two independent hospitals are Sligo University Hospital ( once General and Regional ) and St. John ‘s Hospital. There is besides a individual hospital at Garden Hill .

department of education [edit ]

As of 2016, 14.2 per cent of adults were educated to at most primary coil level only ; a far 45.1 per penny attained second level while 40.7 per penny were educated to third level. [ 29 ] There are four main secondary coil schools in Sligo. These are two all-girls schools ( Mercy College and Ursuline College, the all-boys Summerhill College and the mix ( Church of Ireland ) Sligo Grammar School on The Mall. [ 43 ] Sligo ‘s independent third-level institution is the Institute of Technology, Sligo, which offers a range of courses in the disciplines of business, technology, humanities and skill. St. Angela ‘s College ( outside the town proper ) is a component college of the National University of Ireland, Galway, and offers courses in nursing and health studies, home plate economics and education .

transportation [edit ]

Sligo Hub & Gateway access

road [edit ]

The main roads to Sligo are the N4 to Dublin, the N17 to Galway, the N15 to Lifford, County Donegal ; and the N16 to Blacklion, County Cavan. The part of the N4 road between Sligo and Collooney is a double carriageway. The first phase of this road was completed in January 1998, bypassing the towns of Collooney and Ballysadare. An extension to this road was completed in September 2005, and is known as the Sligo Inner Relief Road. O’Connell Street – the main street in the town – was pedestrianised on 15 August 2006. Plans for the proposed renovation and paving of this street were publicly unveiled on 23 July 2008 in The Sligo Champion. The newspaper former revealed that people were not in favor of the pedestrianisation of the street. [ citation needed ] The street was reopened to traffic in December 2009. Sligo has a certain total of cycleways in proximity to the town and diverse road traffic calming measures have been installed helping to improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists. The Urban Cycle Sligo first step, for example, created six cycle path. [ 44 ]

rail [edit ]

Sligo acquired a track connection to Dublin on 3 December 1862, with the hatchway of Sligo railroad track place. [ 45 ] Connections to Enniskillen and the north followed in 1881 and Limerick and the confederacy in 1895. The telephone line to Enniskillen closed in 1957 and passenger services to Galway-Ennis-Limerick closed in 1963. For many years Córas Iompair Éireann ( CIÉ ) kept the latter line open for freight traffic, before its full closure. The project westerly Rail Corridor renovation project seeks to reopen it. In 1966 Sligo railroad track station was renamed Sligo Mac Diarmada Station after Irish maverick Seán Mac Diarmada from County Leitrim. [ 46 ] Irish Rail, the Republic of Ireland ‘s state railway hustler, runs inter-city rail services on the Dublin-Sligo railroad track occupation. There are presently [ when? ] up to eight trains day by day each way between Sligo and Dublin Connolly, with a frequency of every two hours. [ 47 ]
Map of the west of Ireland. Proposed western Rail Corridor indicated between Collooney and Athenry. Ex-GSWR channel south of Limerick in greens, other ex-MGWR lines are in crimson .

Air [edit ]

Sligo and County Sligo are served by Sligo Airport, 8 kilometer ( 5.0 michigan ) from Sligo town and near Strandhill, though no schedule flights operate out of the airport. The nearest airport with schedule flights is Ireland West Airport Knock near to Charlestown, County Mayo, 55 kilometer ( 34 security service ) away. The Irish Coast Guard Helicopter Search & Rescue has been based at Sligo Airport since 2004, callsign Rescue 118. CHC Ireland provide 24 Hour search and rescue using a Sikorsky S-92 helicopter. The helicopter is operated by a crew of four, maintained and supported year round. The most northerly base in the Republic of Ireland, it deals with the grim challenges posed by the Atlantic Ocean and the clifftop environment along the northwest coast. [ 48 ]

bus topology [edit ]

Bus Éireann operates four bus routes in the town : one serves the town kernel and another the west of the town. The early two routes run from the town to Strandhill and Rosses Point respectively. [ 49 ] Bus Éireann besides provides inter-city services to : Enniskillen, via Manorhamilton ; to Derry ; to Galway, via Ireland West Airport Knock ; and to Dublin, via Dublin Airport and towns along the N4 road. [ 50 ] Bus Feda operates a route from Gweedore, County Donegal, via Sligo to Galway. [ 51 ]

Sligo Port [edit ]

mental picture of Sligo Harbour looking west to Sligo Bay, with Knocknarea batch visible to the leave Sligo is one of barely two operating ports on Ireland ‘s northwest seashore between Galway and Derry, the early being Killybegs. The seaport can accommodate ships with a utmost blueprint of 5.2 metres ( 17 foot ) and a utmost distance of 100 metres ( 330 foot ) ; the Port of Sligo extends from the Timber Jetty for a distance of 1.3 kilometres ( 0.81 security service ). The Harbour Commissioners of Sligo administered the port from 1877 until Sligo County Council took over province for the Harbour from Sligo Harbour Commissioners in June 2006. Records show the development of Sligo ‘s port, exporting agricultural goods to Britain and Europe, in the thirteenth hundred with the arrival of the Normans. In 1420 port dues were levied for the first gear time. later, as a port under Gaelic lords the harbor continued to flourish. Control of the taxes or “ cocket “ of Sligo port became a sought after choice of local dynasties. native merchant families, like the O’Creans wine importers being the most well known. Sligo traded with France, Spain and Portugal throughout the Middle Ages. After incorporation into the british empire from 1607 forth Sligo was the most crucial port in the northwest. [ 52 ] [ not specific enough to verify ] During the 17th and 18th centuries, the larboard was used for the transit of meaning quantities of cattle, hides, butter, barley, oats, and oatmeal being exported and with the city ‘s linen exports well established. Imports included wood, cast-iron, corn and char. The town prospered due to the trade with affluent merchants setting up homes along the then fashionable Castle Street and Radcliffe Street ( belated renamed Grattan Street ). During the time of the Great Famine 1847–1850, it is estimated that more than 30,000 people emigrated through Sligo Port, chiefly to Canada and the United States. The most noteworthy ship companies to operate out of Sligo included Sligo Steam Navigation Company who introduced the first soft-shell clam in 1857, Messrs Middleton & Pollexfen, Harper Cambell Ltd and the erstwhile Sligo Harbour Commissioners who owned a phone number of dredgers used for alimony of the Channel ( McTernan, 1992 ). [ 53 ] Linen was a major export besides through Sligo port, with Pernmill road memorialising the linen fabric mills .

When I was a child at Sligo I could see above my grandfather ‘s trees a little column of smoke from “ the pern mill, ” and was told that “ pern ” was another name for the spool, as I was accustomed to call it, on which thread was wreathe. — W B Yeats

The Sligo docks played an crucial function in the history of the tug movement in Ireland. The 1913 Sligo Dock hit lasted for 56 days and was a harbinger to the Dublin Lockout that occurred 6 months late. Unlike the Dublin Lockout, the Sligo Dock strike resulted in victory to the workers. The port of Sligo declined during the twentieth century with the descent of voyage and steamships and the increasing size of cargo vessels. [ 54 ] [ better source needed ] In mod times, the port handles cargoes of coal, timber, fish meal and scrap metallic and around 25 ships per year bobtail in the harbor. [ citation needed ] In 2012 a feasibility report was undertaken into the dredge of the shipping channel. [ citation needed ]

Media [edit ]

There are three local newspapers in Sligo : The Sligo Weekender – out every Thursday ( once Tuesday ), The Free Northwest Express – out the first Thursday of each calendar month and The Sligo Champion – out every Tuesday ( once Wednesday ). Sligo Now is a monthly entertainment guide for the township – this is out on the first gear Friday of each calendar month, whilst Sligo Sport is the township sports specific monthly newspaper. The town has two local/regional radio stations : Ocean FM, broadcasting to Counties Leitrim and Sligo and to parts of County Fermanagh and the south of County Donegal, and West young person radio station i102-104FM, which merged with its sister station i105-107FM in 2011 to create iRadio .

luminary people [edit ]

See List of Sligo people

Twinning [edit ]

Sligo is twinned with the follow places :

gallery [edit ]

See besides [edit ]

Notes [edit ]

  1. ^ The class other stated religions would include both Christian and non-Christian .

References [edit ]

generator : https://kubet.io
category : music

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

KUBET - KUBET.IO
© Copyright 2020 KUBET - KU CASINO. KUBET.IO - Nhà cái hàng đầu châu Á.